Monday, November 29, 2010

Rock and Roll is Dead

My last post was about the financial crisis, and my next one, which I've already begun to work on, is about death, so excuse me if I just write something totally frivolous and self indulgent this time out.

As I was making my way back from Pittsburgh on Saturday night, rolling down I-78 into Jersey, I was finally able to pick up the New York stations on the radio.  Pennsylvania is never ending, with long stretches of farmland where the radio stations get to be few and far between.  And with out a CD player in my ride, let alone an iPod jack, I'm at the mercy of the airwaves (I know, I'm such a poor baby).  As I came into range WAXQ was in the midst of one of  those count downs that radio stations do over holiday weekends, in this case it was the top 1040 classic rock songs of all time, as voted by the listeners.  Stations have been doing these countdowns for at least thirty years now, and while the list gets shuffled a bit in the middle, the number one song is always the same; Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven."  Sunday night I was driving back from a wake service when the count down was coming to its suspense free end.  Even the DJ sounded board and almost disgusted when he announced El Numero Uno.  Do I really have to say that STH was once again the top song on the list?  I was hoping beyond hope that some people would have the originality pick some song other than "Stairway," but I hoped in vain.  I mean, it's not even the best Zeppelin song ("When the Levee Breaks"), let alone best rock song of all time (a tie between "Long Tall Sally" by Little Richard and Chuck Berry's "Little Queenie"). UGHH!!!

Of course these lists are meaningless, and the fun is arguing over it, but when the results are so predictable, why bother doing them at all?  Is anyone still listening?  It's like the list for best film. "Citizen Kane" always wins, and while I agree with the result in that case, it's almost like people vote for it because they think they have to.  It's like they think that they're committing a mortal sin if they vote differently.  

I've always been a fan of what has become known as classic rock, but I've grown tired of it.  I hate to admit it, but the Post is right: it's time to forget the past and start paying attention to now a bit.  While I'd never forget the Beatles, as Glenn Gaslin suggests in his op-ed piece, I'm continuing my journey into newer music.  There was a great station I picked up in Pittsburgh (and then promptly forgot the call letters and frequency, though it was in the 92-93 range).  I had heard none of the songs before, nor knew any of the bands and it was a bit refreshing.  A lot of what I heard was pretty interesting stuff; alternative, power pop, roots music, it was all over the place .  WXRT in Chicago does a good mix of old and new, with some Blues thrown in to stay close to their Windy City roots.  They, like many stations, do a "Breakfast with the Beatles" show on Sunday morning, but throw in a lot of covers to keep it from getting stale.  RXP here in New York is good, but even they've begun to get a little predictable.

So, while I may be at that age where I'm too old to Rock and Roll and too young to die, as Jethro Tull would say, I continue the journey to find new music.  I'll never forget the past, I'm just taking a vacation from it for a while.

3 comments:

dannyO said...

Love the post, hate the title. Actually sent shivers down my spine to think that Provo thinks that Rock and Roll is Dead. Of course, after reading, I found myself agreeing with you. The classics are great, and never will we forsake them (just jammed with a friend this past weekend to some Petty and Neil Young), but there is some great stuff out there that is new. So, I feel you on this one. Keep Rockin' Fr. Tom!
-dannyO

P.S.- I have enjoyed a few classic rock countdowns that don't believe the hype and denied STH...allowing Cocaine, Bohemian Rhapsody, Hey Jude, and Smells Like Teen Spirit to enjoy the top spot for a change.

mariner5 said...

I feel your pain Fr. Tom, I burned out classic rock in college and haven't been able to go back. We can only go forward. Type "Snow Patrol" into Pandora, and skip any Cold Play, and I think you'll have a pleasant listening experience.

Peace to you and the SDB this Advent season,

Andy Lucchese

Anonymous said...

Listen to the gentle love, so precious and clear in
Buddy Holly's, "Dearest", especially the Norman Petty embellished version, and understand that such is the Heart of "real" Rock and Roll.

It NEVER grows stale. It is as NOW as a sincerely meant wedding vow, even one mocked by the Catholic Church itself.

This has been lost, even to those with Holy Orders.

For many years I have cried these words, mocked by the woman I promised myself to and mocked by priests who support her unrepentance, unforgiveness and unfaithfulness.

"Come home, keep me from these sleepless nights,
try my love again, yeah, I gonna treat you right, yeah, I gonns treat you right"

Nevertheless, the faithfulness of fidelity, borne with
agonizing, sacrificial love on the Cross which is, also, the Heart of marriage and one with the Sacred Heart, is what matters in Love.

The Promise......His and ours, through Him, with Him and in Him LIVES!

No, it does not die. Our commitment to it dies. We separate ourselves from our promises and ultimately, unless we address it, in real Love, we separate ourselves from Him, who is real Love.

Then, go and listen to Mozart's Salzburg Divertimiento, K 138, in Dminor, I believe, and experience, it joy. Then, go sit before the Blessed
Sacrament and consider how much He Loves You, to share in His selflessness.

Then I began to see, why.


Anonymous