Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tim Tebow: How You Like Me Now?


I don't hate the Jets.  Let me get that out of the way now.  So when I say I was happy that the Denver Broncos won last Thursday night it has nothing to do with their opponent.  They could have been playing anyone other than the Giants and my feeling would have been the same.  Even if it was Big Blue on the other side of the ball that night I would have had to have given a grudging tip of the cap to them, and to their quarterback Tim Tebow, in particular.  There are two reasons for this; 1) I hate it when a quarterback gets written off in the press before he even takes a professional snap, and 2) I hate it when I suspect that the criticism has more to do with his faith than his talent.  Everybody who knows about these things says Tebow does not have the tools to make an NFL QB; bad mechanics, inaccurate arm, he's just plain "ugly" and awkward out there on the field.  Many critics will concede that the kid has something going for him, they just don't know what it is yet. Now, he did win a Heisman and two National Championships, one as a starter.  I admit neither of those things are accurate predictors of professional success, but they have to be worth something, no?  Like I said, I suspect that at least some of the apprehension has to do with with Young Tebow's public displays of faith, and by extension his Pro-Life advocacy.  This is not the first time folks in the media have gotten hot under the collar about athletes expressing their Christianity in a public way.

In the 1990's it became common for players from both sides of an NFL contest to gather in a circle, holding hands and kneeling, to pray at the end of a game.  I'm not sure that still goes on, at least I haven't noticed it lately.  There was much fuss made about it, with all sorts of people throwing their two cents in about it.  "Do these players really think God has nothing else better to do than worry about a football game," or words to that effect were spoken by commentators in an attempt to sound profound on the issue.  I heard the sentiment from all over; from the likes of sports caster Bob Costas to the pages of the Catholic periodical Commonweal (to be fair, their reasoning was more subtle and involved if not just as dull minded).

Am I suggesting that God has a rooting interest in sporting events?  Under normal conditions I would have to say that He doesn't, though I wouldn't want to make a blanket judgement on that either (submitted for your approval: Lewis vs Schmeling, June 22, 1938, Yankee Stadium, The Bronx, New York).  While God's interest in the wide world of sports is questionable, what isn't is His infinite concern for everybody; whether they're football players, plumbers or CPA's.  He cares about our lives, goals, hopes and dreams.  He cares about our health and security.  If I were an NFL player engaging in the violent world that is professional football, where careers are short and catastrophic injuries that can lead to things like paralysis are a reality on every play, I'd sure be on my knees thanking the Almighty I made it through the last sixty minutes in one piece and able to walk. I encourage my students to pray before studying and taking a test, I believe people should pray before work, or beginning some project, considering a career move or simply looking for work.  More and more people need Divine help just to find work these days.  God cares about each person in an intimate way.  Pray to him.  He'll listen.  God isn't too busy with Iran and world poverty.  That's the neat thing about being all powerful and omnipresent. 

Are there athletes who use religion cynically or superstitiously? You bet. Are there batters who make a Sign of the Cross before each plate appearance who go out and cheat on their wives after the game?  Of course there are.  But how's that different from hypocrisy in any other walk of life?  That's the thing about being omniscient, God knows our hearts and what to do from there.  It's not for us to say who's prayers are worthy to reach God's ear; he doesn't need us to sort the wheat from the chaff, He can do that all by himself.

Getting back to Brother Tim, I wonder if his critics are so concerned with his talent or his very public displays of faith?  And is he being a Christian the real issue?  When Hakeem Olajuwon, a practicing Muslim, played a grueling stretch of an NBA season while observing the Ramadan fast he was hailed for his courage.   Bill Walton's and Phil Jackson's Eastern and Native American spiritualities are generally seen as signs of their broad minded cool. But Tebow, whose Pro-Life stance, born of personal experience (his was a difficult pregnancy for his mother and the doctors advised her to abort; she told them what they could do with their advise), and displays of faith make him, according to some, a "polarizing" figure in the NFL.  His act of thanksgiving, which has become known as "Tebowing," is both the object of good natured imitation by fans and mocking scorn by opponents.  He is attacked by likes of comedian Bill Maher.  Is all this because his playing style is "ugly" or because his faith is public?

I do not know this young man's future.  I don't feel as comfortable commenting on football as I do baseball.  All I will say is, he's a big, strong, gutsy kid (he looks more like a tight end to me than a QB), and yeah, he didn't look exactly smooth out there in beating the Jets.  For long term success he's gong to have to learn to thrive in some other system than the option.  But if he is true to the Lord, he will be blessed, in what ever form the Almighty chooses to manifest His blessings.  Will it be with a ring?  Well, like I said, I'm not sure God is concerned with the out come of football games.  But He is very concerned with Tim Tebow, so I wouldn't bet against him on anything at this point.

No comments: