Thursday, December 29, 2011

NFL Week 17

As my Giants are going into the last week of the season they once again find themselves in a familiar situation; needing to win to get into the play-offs.  The only difference this year is that they don't need any help from five other teams, who either need to win or loose, depending on division records, conference records, how they played in head to head match ups, point differentials, whose leading in the polls in Iowa, if the Moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligns with Mars.  I tell you, the variations that go into determining the post season seatings is complicated enough to make Einstein abandon physics.  No, for my intrepid, if under performing, G-Men it's cut and dry: win and you're in, loose and it's time to polish the golf clubs.

Under achieving and not simply mediocre?  Yes I do believe they are better than the 8-7 record they are presently sitting at.  There is a school of thought that says you are what your record says you are, of which Mike Francesa on the FAN is a member.  I actually agree most of the time with that philosophy, but Big Blue might be the exception to an otherwise rock solid rule.  I can't explain how a team goes to Foxboro and out-Bradies Brady, gives The Pack all they can handle in a game that was very winnable at the end, but then looses to the Seahawks at home and the Skins twice.  I'm not even going to mention beating the Eagles on the road and then loosing to them at home in a game that could have secured the division for them (OK, I just did). The only game they were really blown out in was against the Saints, but Drew Brees is unconscious and we haven't beaten them since Katrina.  While falling short against he 49ers hurt, there was no shame in loosing that game either.  With the exception of the Saints game, this season has been about playing hard against the good teams and folding like a cheap suitcase against the bad ones.  This should be a ten or eleven win team, but for a lack of focus, consistency and, I hate to say it, heart.

Even if the Giants played to their ability, this isn't their year.  Records aside, there are at least three teams better then them in the conference, and I'm probably low balling that figure.  When the smoke clears I actually think New Orleans is the team to beat, and not just because Padre Steve of Da Mihi Animas fame is a buddy.  They're peaking at the right time, and even though Green Bay is very strong, I think if it comes down to a shootout between Brees and Aaron Rogers, I'd put my chips on the Fleur-de-lis.

So, my early Super Bowl pick is a Saints - Patriots match up, with New Orleans walking away with it.  Brady is still the man, but his defense is a dud.  More as the play-offs progress.

(PS-My big worry right now is that everyone on the radio is saying the Giants should beat the Cowboys, no problem.   Seems like every time the "experts" have said the Jints should win a game, they don't.  We will see Sunday Night.)

No comments: