Sunday, January 15, 2012

NFL Divisional Playoffs


With the Saints falling in a thriller to San Francisco one half of my predicted Super Bowl match up is eliminated.  So much for my career in sports prognostication.  Between the last two baseball post seasons and this year's NFL tournament I don't think I've gotten any forecasts right.  OH, well.  Being a hard headed Calabrese I know it won't stop me from making a fool of myself in the future.  And the future is now.  But first a look at yesterday's match ups.

With both of Day 1's games falling during our Saturday evening Masses I only caught bits and pieces of the action, and unfortunately missed the end of the N.O.-Niner tilt.  We knew Frisco has a solid defense, but I'm surprised the offense was able to keep up with the Drew Brees aerial attack.  I thought once the Saints got moving that would be it, but that's why they play the games.  It's not about what you think, it's about what you know.

As for the Pats-Broncs, it was all too predictable.  I figured the Denver D would have kept it a little closer, but I didn't see any Tebow Miracle coming this week.  He was facing a healthy Tom Brady, not a banged up Ben Roethlisberger.  From things I read leading up to the game Brady was preparing like a man on a mission.  Observers and team mates said he was especially focused in practice this week, and some even questioned his mental health a little (think Ahab and the Whale).   Not that I want the Pats, but I did pick them to go to the big game, so at least I'm batting .500 so far.

As for my Giants, I can't get myself to pick against them today against the Packers, but this will be a tougher game than a lot of our local fans seem to think.  The way I hear some callers on the FAN you'd think the G-Men were the 15-1 team.  Keep in mind people that Aaron Rogers is not Brett Favre; don't bank on him confusing Corey Webster with his primary receiver in a tight spot.  The Giants can win this game, but things have to fall right.  While our offense can put up points, and the Green Bay D has been iffy of late, we don't want to get into a shooting out with these guy.  Our defense needs to play with the intensity of the last few weeks.  Amid the X's and O's, don't underestimate the emotion factor as well; the Packer offensive coordinator lost his son a week ago in what appears to be a tragic accident.  My experience is that players rally around teammates and coaches in times of personal tragedy, so expect Green Bay to come out hot, especially the offense.

Pick: Giants 27     Packers 24


There is no playoff team I know less about than the Houston Texans, and so I'm not going to pretend I have some great insight into the game.  Since I'm not some big time NFL commentator with a reputation to worry about, I'll will give a prediction anyway.  I know the Ravens beat them soundly in week 6, are playing them at home yet again.  Baltimore has a solid defense and I've always followed the dictum that Defense Wins Championships.  While I'm not picking them to win it all, I'm taping them for today's game.

Pick: Ravens 17     Texans 10


No comments: