Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Fr. Victor Martinez, SDB (1982-2012)

We received the tragic news from the Dominican Republic that a newly ordained Salesian, Fr. Victor Martinez, was killed in a car accident this past Sunday.  After completing his studies at the Salesian house of studies in Tlaquepaque, Mexico, Fr. Victor returned to his home country and was ordained on Saturday.  He died on the way to his his first Mass.  For more details please visit Fr. Steve Leake's blog.

I got to spend time with Fr. Victor and the other seminarians studying in Mexico last year.  I can not say I got to know him or the others terribly well since I was only there a few days.  But I know the joy of completing initial formation and receiving the gift of the priesthood.  This joy was not only mine, but it was shared by my family and friends, especially by my parents.  I can not imagine the pain they are feeling at this time.

While there is great sadness that his life was cut short just as his priestly ministry was about to begin, Fr. Victor is a priest forever.  In this great Communion of Saints, of which we are all a part, those who have gone before us in death are still active in God's saving plan.  God's ways are mysterious, and we can find them difficult to accept and understand.  We pray that God gathers Fr. Victor to himself, consoles his family, and that he may serve at the Heavenly altar, now and always.

No comments: