Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pondering Evil, Yet Again, Wearily




The Old Testament prophets tended to be very harsh when times were good.  They tried to remind people that life wasn't all about parties and wealth creation; that in the midst of the fat years there were still poor people not sharing in the prosperity, and not to be deluded into thinking that wealth, pleasure and power were substitutes for God.  The prophets reminded Judah and Israel that all things pass, and that chastisements eventually come for injustices and immoralities, so they shouldn't come to depend on their excess, and make a good examination of conscience.  Then, once the bottom fell out they changed tone, assuring the people that God hadn't abandoned them and the present trials wouldn't last forever.  In other words, they didn't kick people when they were down.  For us today religious figures who come out after a tragedy and get their Isaiah up, blaming a terrorist attack, a natural disaster or some other traumatic event that takes human lives on the sins of the people comes off as cruelly tone deaf.

We are still left with questions though.  We are not so accustomed to having the prophetic finger pointed at us as we are to point the finger at God, asking, "where were you?"  I weary of the question, not because it's a bad one, but because it has no response that can satisfy us.  The standard Thomistic answer is that God permits evil so that a greater good can come out of it.  In the big picture this is true, but I doubt that this explanation would make any sense to the parents who just lost their eight year old son in Copley Square.

I have adult nieces, some of whom work in and around Boston, one of whom is an RM who was called in to help at a hospital in the city treating victims.  After thanking the Lord that "all the girls are where they're supposed to be," as my father put it, I felt heart broken.  My eldest niece, the nurse, works in a children's burn hospital.  She sees terrible things on a day to day basis already, and all I could think of were the fresh hells she was being subjected to now.  She'll be thirty in a few months, but all I could see in my mind's eye was the baby wrapped up tight the way they do in hospital nurseries.  I still thought of her, and the others, as they were as children.  We want to protect our children from ugly things, and now it's impossible.  Even though they're not children anymore, it's a helpless feeling, to say the least.

I long ago reconciled myself with the problem of evil.  That people make wicked choices doesn't effect my faith in God.  That God permits evil is wrapped up in the gift of freedom; that He allows us to do good and accept Him means that he also allows us to do wrong.  Without that possibility we are slaves.  It doesn't mean my heart wasn't in my throat thinking about what could have happened if someone I loved was where they "weren't supposed to be" at 2:50pm Monday.  It doesn't mean I didn't feel rage seeing what had happened to people I've never met.

As for the cosmic reasons, I thought about when people came to Jesus asking about an incident when Pilate had slaughtered a group of Jews indiscriminately (Luke 13:1-5).  Jesus told them that they, and an unfortunate 18 who had died when a tower fell on them, were not singled out for destruction because they were "greater sinners" than anyone else.  He instead pointed out the need to repent for everyone, because murderous tyrants, falling towers or terrorists' bombs don't discriminate.  Evil is a part of our human condition.  We work for justice and peace, but mustn't be shaken in our faith when there are those who are for war.  It is for us to walk in the light of Christ so that we are always ready to meet him.  We pray for a happy, provided for exit from this life, but are ready for the unexpected.

In the end words do not suffice.  I do not know what greater good can possibly come out of this.  I was not there when God created the stars and set the earth on it's foundations, as He reminded Job when he asked a similar question.  I, like most of us, am numbed by the evil, and take solace in the random acts of kindness and heroism of performed by ordinary people on the scene.  And while these victims were certainly not being punished for their sins or those of their fathers and mothers, I am convinced that this darkness that covers us right now won't lift until we return to the Lord with sincere hearts and a repentant spirit. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely with your conclusion: you will not escape destruction by evil unless you turn to the Lord.