Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Let's Not Fool Ourselves: It's Murder in the First Degree

http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Kermit-Gosnell-abortion-clinic-CBN.jpg
There is an unfortunate divide in the attitude the Catholic clergy has concerning abortion.  I'm not talking about those poor souls who are either secretly, or not so secretly pro-choice.  That's not an attitude or approach in how to view the issue, that's an out and out rupture with the truth that shouldn't be tolerated.  No, I'm writing about an attitude that recognizes that abortion is wrong, but feels the bishops and some of the faithful are "obsessed" with it, and other matters of sexual morality (I think that it's a mistake to see abortion as a part of the Church's sexual ethic to begin with, but I'll have to save that for another post).  There are other, more urgent issues like the plight of the poor and other matters of social and economic morality that needs our attention more, or so the argument goes.  There are also other life issues, like the death penalty, and the treatment of prisoners in general, that deserves equal if not more attention.  Of course the other attitude is that abortion is murder and as such should be the priority.  A society is judged by how it treats its weakest and most vulnerable, and while we shouldn't neglect the poor, the sick or the prisoner, the weakest and most vulnerable of all are the unborn, and so they should get the first priority.

I come down on the side that says abortion is murder of the most innocent and vulnerable, and therefore gets the priority without neglecting the rest of Catholic social teaching.  In the last few years I had heard the rhetoric of the other side, and began to be lulled into a certain sympathy with it, though I never fully accepted their line of thought.  The Kermit Gosnell case has wakened me from this moral haze.  The killing of live born babies is what logically follows when you make an arbitrary distinction between life inside and outside the womb.  And the things Mr. Gosnell was doing are not new or isolated: stories that abortionists routinely leave live born babies to die of neglect after failed abortions have been circulating for decades.  That many abortion "doctors" pay no attention to restrictions on third trimester abortions is also an open secret.  Years ago one of my sisters in law played detective and called a clinic pretending to be an expectant mother in her third trimester.  She was told by the person on the other end that it was a problem, but nothing they couldn't work around. So, while I'm as shocked as anyone by the brutality of the crime, on some level I'm not surprised that these things are going on.  This case needs to be a clarion call for anyone wavering in their full throated opposition to the killing of the unborn.


There are also those who believe abortion is wrong, but don't want to use the word murder to describe it.  This is often in a sincere attempt to be pastorally sensitive to the women who procure them.  I get this.  I've had many women come into my confessional to confess this sin.  After hearing their stories would I call them murderers?  No, I wouldn't.  The decision to abort is often made under pressure and duress. As a result there is often a willful ignorance as to what is growing in their wombs.  Immediately afterward these women often try to put the whole thing out of their minds, but eventually the reality of what they've done catches up with them, and then they come to me.  My job at that point is to be the loving face of Jesus the Good Shepherd, not a harsh judge bent on crushing the already bruised reed.

As for the practitioners of abortion, no other title but murderer fits.  They know what they are doing, and some even acknowledge openly that this is the taking of a human life.  A U.S. court has decided that the actions of this abortionist were murder, the late term abortions he performed are illegal, if not meeting the present legal definition of murder, and the death of one woman under his care is man slaughter.  They're all murders as far as I can see, and we shouldn't be afraid of using the word because we might offend people.  The truth is the truth, and in this case might help to end this scourge in our land.

As for Gosnell himself, he plea bargained himself out of the death penalty. I've had friends wish great harm on the man, and while I understand the out rage I can't condone it.  I am against the death penalty, though I'm not sure I buy the Seamless Garment argument.  No, let him live.  Let him spend long days and nights, how ever many more the Lord grants him in this life, to think about what he's done.  Maybe he repents (remember God wants the sinner to return to Him, not to perish).  Maybe he doesn't.  Either way he will face God, and that's good enough for me.  

No comments: