Thursday, June 27, 2013

Man of Steel: A Commentary by Fr. Robert Barron

I haven't seen the latest cinematic spin on the grandaddy of all the comic book superheros Superman, and I'm not sure that I am any time soon.  But here is a reflection on some of the deeper themes of the new movie, Man of Steel, by Fr. Barron.

I know that some people wonder if commentators like Fr. Barron read too much into popular entertainments like this, as he mentions, but I don't think that he does.  Film makers are artists, even if commerce is their primary motivation for doing what they do, forming their art in light of a particular world view.  Though they may not be consciously trying to put forth an agenda every time out, which I think they are more than we realize, their personal philosophy will come through one way or another.  Ideas matter, and while most people might find thinkers like Plato and Nietzsche to be esoteric and detached from everyday experience, their ideas are taught in universities and influence educators, artist, writers, lawyers and judges, to name a few.  The ideas do trickle down and shape how we view and form society and look at ourselves.

No comments: