Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Just a Song Before I Go

I've longed, of late, to write something light, like a movie review or some piece of All Star Game fluff. I look at the recent posts and they're all unspeakably heavy. Like all bloggers I'm guessing, I have no editor. No one assigns me a story. An itch hits me and I scratch it. Unfortunately the itches I've been getting are more like rashes. Adding to my dilemma, there really isn't any thing in the cinema that excites my interest, and the Yankees are mired in mediocrity as we've hit the metaphorical halfway point of the season. All I'm left with is Brexit, race riots, Islamofacists on the march and a presidential campaign that makes 1968 look like your average middle school student body election. How I pine for a new Christopher Nolan movie to eviscerate or for A-Rod to do just about anything other than the prolonged career death march he's on right now - which is scheduled to drag on into late September 2017. 

I'm in need of a change of scenery. Not a permanent one, mind you. I'm very contented here in Chicago, at St. John Bosco. Just a temporary separation: not just or not primarily from the parish. I need a break from the United States for a while. I think 18 days will due. And as Providence would have it, that's exactly what I'm embarking on beginning Friday.

I'll be heading out, with about ten of us from the combined Chicago—New Orleans contingent, on a pilgrimage that will take us through four countries, culminating in Kraków, Poland for World Youth Day (WYD), which includes a vigil and Mass with Pope Francis and about a million of his closest friends. There will be about 80 of us all together from Salesian works — both official and unofficial. I plan on chronicling the pilgrimage. If I can't post as I go, which is a very strong possibility, I'll post it all when I get back.

I went on WYD one other time, in 2008. It was an experience that I'll carry with me the rest of my life, but I'm not sure it was a pilgrimage, at least for me personally. WYD was held in Sydney, and Australia was great. The people were friendly, and took obvious pride and joy in their nation, and in the opportunity to show it off to visitors. Being so isolated, they simply don't get as many tourists as Italy or France, and so, with the exception of one minor episode on a commuter train that's not worth getting into (the exception that makes the rule), the citizenry were truly gracious. But I was so caught up with being in Australia, literally on the other side of the world from where I'm from, I didn't always appreciate the spiritual dimension of the trip. I didn't go into the pilgrimage with this intention, but when I look back I can see that I was more of a tourist than a pilgrim.

This time my mind is intentionally focused on this as a spiritual journey. We're visiting touristy places - Barcelona and Paris - but also Lourdes and Taizé. In Poland we will visit Czestochowa, the main Marian shrine in that country, as well as places associated with the life of St. John Paul II. We will also go to Auschwitz, and possibly visit the death bunker where St. Maxamillian Kolbe was martyred. There will be moments for taking in the culture, for relaxation, and to simply enjoy ourselves, as their should be. But I the point will be to open up to God and allow him to speak through the places we will visit, the people we meet, and events we experience.

I don't share much about my interior life in this space, at least not openly. When I do, it is usually veiled behind whatever larger topic I'm scribbling about. I share now that I'm ready for this trip as a pilgrimage, and not just a tour. The Lord has been speaking to me in the quiet way that he does to us: not in Mother Teresa or St. Faustiana ways, in visions and complete sentences. No, but in that still silent voice that, if we turn off the phone, take the earbuds out, sitting motionless for a moment, we will hear too. Or at least, if we spend enough time in silence we will begin to hear. He is challenging me. Challenging me to give more of myself. Challenging me to grow closer to Him. Challenging me to trust more in Him and less in myself, in material things, and in human solutions. A pilgrimage isn't magic. I don't expect that I'll come back after 18 days and be a different person. All I pray for is that I'm open to the grace that God wants to gift me, and let Him continue to transform my life as He wants. 

I'm also going with clear intentions. One of my brothers has had health issues lately, along with a couple of members of my SDB community - so you know what I'll be praying for at Lourdes. I have many prayer intentions for those days. I'll be praying for you all, and ask for your prayers as well - for me and all the pilgrims.

I know the title suggests the this will be my past post before flying out Friday. I may get something else in before I go. If I do, I'll try to keep it light. 

No comments: