Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Enough of the Drama












A couple of weeks ago I weighed in on the controversy surrounding Christopher West and his take on the Theology of the Body (TOB). To be honest, I’m backing away somewhat because I’m getting a bad feeling about the whole thing. Mr. West’s critics have many valid points, but there is an undercurrent of bitterness that’s palpable. I don’t want to accuse anybody of being uncharitable, but if it walks like a duck, swims like a duck…well, you get my drift. I am not a particular devotee of Mr. West but he and Janet Smith, who has also been the target of criticism, have been out there teaching the difficult message on pre-marital sex and contraception that few others in the Church have been willing to do. I think they deserve better than what they’re getting.

These then are my last unsolicited words on this controversy.

But these will not be my last words of TOB. A good thing that came out of my detour through this little imbroglio is that my interest in this relatively new field of theological inquiry has been renewed. I first heard about it back in the 90’s, and did some reading on it, and made it through about half of the 129 talks given by John Paul II that make up the guts of TOB. Pastoral work took me away from going much further, and while I’m still very much “on the front lines” (overused term, but it fits) I’m again tackling the late Holy Father’s work. There is a new translation, superior to the old one (better organized, more consistent use of language) with an introduction that’s served me well as a review of certain philosophical trends since Francis Bacon. As I work my way through I’ll share my reflections. I’ll still post my weekly bulletin letter and what ever musings on popular culture that hit me, but for the next few months I’ll be concentrating on TOB.

Now understand, I am not a professional theologian; I am a pastor in both the broad and strict application of the word. I don’t claim to offer a definitive interpretation of John Paul II’s theology, but rather very personal reflections based on experience and what I understand to be the mind of the Church.

And so, let the fun begin. And I really do hope it’s fun and, more importantly, helpful. Once I get through the introduction, which is so far proving to be worth getting the book for, I’ll begin the beguine.

No comments: