Wednesday, August 18, 2010

TOB Controversy, Take Two

Last Saturday I put up a post weighing in on the controversy surrounding Christopher West and his interpretation of John Paul II’s Theology of the Body (TOB). I have since taken it down because I’m afraid I wrote too quickly. The appeal of a blog is that it is immediate, and allows the writer the instant gratification of getting his or her ideas out right away. Most of my entries are written within an hour or two. Others might get tinkered with for a little longer, but they rarely sit overnight before I post them. I am usually writing about spiritual and theological matters that I have already reflected on for years, or are critiquing movies or music drawing on my inner core beliefs, as well as the admittedly modest knowledge I’ve acquired about these topics over the years. Which is a long way around to say that I avoid shooting my mouth off about things I know little or nothing about. I do not need to be reminded that our desire for instant gratification can be destructive. While the post I took down was certainly not “destructive” I do fear I didn’t put enough time in reflecting on the issue and taking a look at both sides.

The problem is that this whole controversy is between Catholic intellectuals who might otherwise be considered to be “on the same side.” These are people who consider themselves orthodox, working closely with the Church hierarchy, and drawing on Scripture and Tradition in order to conform to these two fonts of the single Divine Revelation. They are not “progressives” challenging traditional views, or criticizing the Magisterium. It’s difficult for me because I can see where both sides are coming from.

And so I am taking a few steps back, but will return to this topic, because I do believe that it is important. TOB is increasingly being incorporated into catechetical programs and religious education materials for young people and adults. John Paul II’s theology is dense, and so we rely on people like Mr. West to help “break it down” into a language that the common person can understand. The little I have read of TOB leads me to believe that it has implications for theological and spiritual discussions beyond marriage and sexual ethics. I would not want to see it fall into disrepute because of a misinterpretation. At he same time Mr. West has been a long time laborer in the vineyard, respected by bishops and Catholic academics who I hold in high esteem, and so should be treated fairly and get a proper hearing before passing judgment.

In the mean time I point you a lengthy article by Alice von Hildebrand and about Dawn Eden, who are critical of West’s approach. I also point you to Christopher West’s response and a defense by Janet Smith.

No comments: