Sunday, February 5, 2012

SB XLVI: Immedite Post Game Impressions

I am officially retiring from the football prognostication business.  Yes, I picked the Giants, but by a much wider margin.  In fact nothing worked out like I thought.  The Giant pass rush never really got going.  The New England defense held the New York passing game in check.  The Giants went to the run and the short pass game more than they had during the season. One thing held true: when I give up on them, the G-Men win.  When the Pats ended the first half with a scoring drive of over ninety yards, and then opened the third quarter with another long scoring drive it looked like Tom Brady had that eye of the tiger thing going on, and they were going to get on a roll.  But the Giant D stiffened up, and Manning once again proved you can't spell elite without E-L-I. 

I only feel bad for one reason, and one person: Robert Kraft.  He looked like the loneliest man in the world when the last second Hail Mary fell to the ground, and you'd have to have no heart not to feel for him.  Nothing can make up for the loss of a spouse, and those human events remind us that it's just a game.  But Myra Kraft, who passed away last summer, was so well loved by the Patriot players (some even called her "mom").  She was known for her big heart and her philanthropy.  They had dedicated the season to her memory, and it really looked like they were going to pull it out for her.  While I can't say that I wish that they had, my hats off to the Patriots.  They left it all on the field and have nothing to hang their heads about. 

No comments: