Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Odds and Sods: Pro Football, Hot Stove Baseball and Oscar Buzz

The New York Football Giants

I haven't made any comments on the NFL yet mainly because I don't get to see enough games.  Being in a parish means that I'm tied up most Sundays until about 4pm, and the Giants have had an exasperating number of 1pm kickoffs this season.  I actually saw the G-Men more on average when I was in Chicago than I have this year.  Plus, baseball really is my game.  I feel more comfortable being an armchair manager than quarterback.

That said I feel good about the Eagles game coming up.  As good as Vick has been, the Giants should have won their last match up.  They were sloppy and unfocused, which I don't think they'll be this time.  The only concern is the injury bug that's hit them again.  Manningham and Smith, their two important wide receivers, are doubtful for Sunday.  But they're built for the run, and if the winds whip in the new place like they use to at Giants Stadium the passing game might prove to be less important to the overall game plan. 

As a Giant fan I'm supposed to hate the Cowboys, but I really don't.  Don't get me wrong, I want to beat them as much as anyone, but I don't have that real visceral repulsion and disgust at the sight of their logo like I do for the Red Sox, for instance.  In football that type of dislike is reserved for the Eagles.  The games are always rough and physical, and unlike our history with Dallas, Philly and New York are usually good at the same time.  2007 is one of the few times I remember the 'Boys and us actually duking it out for the division or in the playoffs.  Our real rivals over the years have been the 'Skins, Eagles and 49ers back in the day.  So I really want this game.  And, just my luck, another 1pm start time.  Oh, well.

Hot Stove Report

As I texted Ryan "The Man, The Myth and the Legend" Phelan, AKA Stony Point's Phillie Phanatic #1, I was as surprised as anyone that Cliff Lee went to Philadelphia, but not that he passed on the Yankees.  When he didn't decide by Sunday my ever trustworthy gut told me he was going elsewhere.  It was too may years and too much money to be agonizing over the decision.  I just don't think he wanted New York, and not only because of his wife's bad experience at the ALCS.  I think if he really wanted to come here it would have happened in July.  He may not have had a no trade clause, since Phillie traded him a year ago to Seattle (much to his disappointment), which would blow my theory up, I admit.   But something tells me he wasn't all that sad about not being shipped to New York.  Just my gut again, not infallible, but pretty accurate.  

As for all the disappointed Yankee fans out there, don't be sad.  As Joel Sherman wrote in the Post today, the last time we missed out on a big time free agent pitcher (Greg Maddox in 1992) the ground work was still laid for the Joe Torre era dynasty.  So fear not.  The farm system is strong, the core is solid, and now we can see how creative a GM Brian Cashman really is.

Oscar Buzz
I also read in the Post this morning that "The Social Network" is a leading contender for Best Picture at the 2011 Oscars.  Really?  I have to admit that my movie going has been pretty limited this year, so I don't have a lot to compare it to, other than the couple of thousand movies I've seen in my lifetime. This was basically a two hour commercial for Facebook.  A well made piece of propaganda, to be sure, but is it really in the same league with "There Will Be Blood?" (Oh, yeah, didn't win) or "Saving Private Ryan?" (again, didn't win) and don't even try to put it in the same sentence with "Citizen Kane" (dummy me, that one didn't get the little statuette either).  OK, so after the smoke clears the Oscars are pretty meaningless.  If this little piece of mid-level ego candy wins it will only reinforce the fact that the highly coveted award isn't worth its $1.00 buy back price.

No comments: