Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Vocation Talk II

As I mentioned in the last post on vocation, proposing the idea of a divine call in life is problematic today because society has become more secular and our focus has become more self centered.  God is no longer seen as a reference point to figure out what the meaning of our lives are.  We make our educational, career and even marriage choices based solely on personal preference, not on an understanding of the meaning of our lives in particular and what our God given purpose for being here is.

I am not suggesting we go back to the days when one's profession was determined by social class or marriages were arranged.  Coming to an understanding of our vocation begins with knowing our talents, abilities, likes and dislikes.  True love often starts as infatuation or a simple physical attraction.  But in both realms of work and romance these initial feelings need to be tested over time.  In the case of a couple contemplating marriage they must be honest with one another and themselves.  They have to talk things out about all sorts of things from how many children they want to how they would handle the family finances and care for elderly parents when they get sick. If a couple has substantial differences when answering these and other basic questions they need to be worked out before the wedding.  It's fullish to think that they'll work these things out afterward.  Then they have to be honest about if they think they are going to have a reasonable chance of making their marriage work.   Divorce courts and annulment tribunals are glutted with cases from couples who thought they could change their spouse or, worse yet, never had the conversation to begin with.

Above all Christ has to be the central point of reference throughout this process of discovery.  I've concentrated on marriage, but it's the same when contemplating a career.  The questions that have to be asked are: will this person I want to marry help me become a saint?  Is this profession I want to enter help me save my soul?  What is the purpose God gave me in my life and what path will best help me fulfill it? We have to own the decisions we make, and yes, listen to our hearts.  But our heart and head need to be moving in the same direction with Christ steering the ship.

I've written a lot but haven't addressed the central question I began with:  how is my vocation in this life linked to my eternal salvation?  Next time, I promise, we'll look at that question and finish up this topic of God's call.

No comments: