Sunday, December 5, 2010

Wikileaks 2

My biggest fan, and critic, just got finished hitting me over the head for my post on Wikileaks, so I guess some explanation is needed.  I wasn't commenting in the last post on the soldiers who leaked the information, simply those who are distributing it.  Yes, leaking the information is not only illegal, but in certain situations, like when soldiers lives are put in danger, morally wrong.   The distributing of it in my mind is morally wrong as well, but I'm not sure it's illegal.  That's why I wrote that while I don't like what he's doing, I don't want to see our Wikileaker arrested.  (I'm reminded of a "Man For All Seasons" when William Roeper wants Sir Thomas More to arrest Richard Rich because he had broken God's law.  More's response was, "Then God can arrest him.") But if the CIA, MI-5 or Mossad can shut it down, I won't squawk either. 

Leaks have been the way of the world since the Pentagon Papers (who am I kidding; they go back a lot longer than that), but now with the internet and the fact that so much is done electronically the ability to leak and distribute is greater than ever.  It puts a greater stress on governments to keep their secrets secret.  And we need to understand that we do not live in a Christian society any longer.  Fulton Sheen said over thirty years ago that we are living at the end of Christendom, meaning there was no longer a unified Christian culture we share in the West.  So to appeal to morality to people whose moral compass is pointing in a different direction than our own is pointless.  What needs to be followed in the rule of law, and some creative counter intelligence.

PS:
There is something very strange about the entire affair, to tell the truth, and my guess is that there is more than meets the eye.  This is not meant to be a political blog, and I sort of regret bringing the topic up to begin with, but the genie is out of the bottle already, so here goes.  The present administration wasn't thrilled about having to fight the War on Terror to begin with, and I'm not suggesting the upper levels of the executive branch are in on anything, but I could see some lower level people with the right clearance in the DOD or State Department helping things along.   Only a theory.

No comments: