Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Generations Have Longed to See What You See



I do not have the words to express how I feel right now.  There have been literally generations of Salesian High School students who dreamed of seeing a new gym on our New Rochelle campus.  And today The Br. Jim Wiegand  Athletic Center was officially opened for business.

The old gym earned it's name; built in 1927 it's the oldest gymnasium in New Rochelle and one of the oldest in Westchester County.  It's a great old building, and for eighty plus years gave us a real home court advantage; the legendary pillars set in bounds, the impossibility of attempting a three point shot from the wings, and the balcony that seemed to put the fans right over court.  When the place was packed it rocked, and visiting teams didn't know where to turn.  There are some intangibles that will be lost by moving over to the new house, but it's more than worth it.  And we're not saying goodbye to the old gym, it'll still be used for PE classes, the spring play, the band and other events, I'm sure.  But now Salesian High has a new facility worthy of our State Champion hoops team and City Championship volleyball squad, as well as a room dedicated to wrestling. 

I left this morning nice and early.  The last couple of times I needed to be in New Rochelle for something I got stuck at the GW Bridge for over two hours and either missed my commitment or was ridiculously late, and I did not want to miss any of this.

I rolled in about 8:00 AM and it was like I never left. Fr. Jim Mulloy was at his post at the North Stairwell, I made my rounds of the homerooms like I used to.  The boys gave me a great reception, as did the teachers.  When I'm here at the parish I'm very focused on what I'm doing.  Being pastor can be like being on a treadmill, and in a way there's no time to reflect over the past and take stock.  In coming back I saw how much I do miss the boys, and the place.  Salesaian High was where my vocation came into focus and where I met people who changed my life, from the friends I made, the Salesians and lay teachers who taught me back in the day, to later on the SDBs and teachers I lived and worked with in practical training and these last three years.  I've been blessed.  

The boys were sent over to the gym, while a group of alumni and guests waited outside.  Br. Jim Wiegand , Salesian's basketball coach between 1961 and 1980, who the new athletic center is named for was on hand, along with his sister.  Br. Jim is a legend himself, having influenced generations of player, who talk of him as a father figure.  After Bishop Dennis Sullivan blessed a statue of St. Joseph that stands outside and a plaque to Br. Jim, he cut the ribbon at the front door and in we went. 

The ceremony was beautiful, and there were two speakers who stood out.  Mike Breen '79 (yes, that Mike Breen) spoke of Br. Jim and how they were always prepared for the game because of their coach's constant drilling and scouting of the other team.  But most of all the discipline and attention to the detail prepared them for life.  Br. Jim spoke fondly of his Salesian vocation, and that he and his sister (a Dominican nun) obviously do not have children of their own, but they know that their family name will live on.  He called the naming of the gym after him a tribute to his parents as much as to him.  It was a moving moment.

I would be amiss if I didn't mention the person who made this happen; Fr. Pat Angelucci.  Like I wrote at the beginning, generations have longed to see this day.  A new gym for Salesian High has been a dream for at least 50 years.  But Fr. Pat made the dream a reality, and it wasn't easy.  Over the two years this project was in the works there were more obstacles than most people realize.  Fr. Pat suffered for this project, and I'm not being dramatic.  He had a look of satisfaction on his face today that was beyond words.  I'm sure there are still details that need to be attended to, but it was the look of a man who, after an arduous journey, could finally say mission complete.  He gave a great gift to the Salesian province, but I know for him what's more important is it's a great gift for his beloved Alma Mater.

No comments: